The three-year Bachelor program teaches basic skills, qualifying its graduates for practical and scientific work in the realm of Digital Media. The program includes a one-year Bachelor Project and an internship. Internationality is emphasized by a semester abroad as well as course offers from international guest speakers.
Requirements for admission
The entrance qualification for the Bachelor program is an advanced high school diploma (usually the Abitur). Only a limited number of students will be admitted. To study Media Design at the University of the Arts, an artistic test of aptitude is required. A subsequent change to Media Design will not be possible except in singular instances. Additionally, a proof of good English language skills is necessary (TOEFL, IELTS, or equivalent).
For enrolling for our inter-university international bachelor’s program you should first decide at which of the four universities you would like to study most of the time. Bremen University of Applied Sciences Bremen, Bremerhaven University of Applied Sciences Bremerhaven, and the University of Bremen offer the concentration in Media Informatics; the University of the Arts Bremen offers the concentration in Media Design.
The first semester is always a winter term (starting September/October). The typical application deadline is July 15. Applicants who have finished school in eariler years or early in the same year may be required to turn in their documents by May 31. For details, please refer to the universties’ Web sites. Long before the regular application deadline, the University of the Arts requires all of its applicants to undergo an entrance examination plus a portfolio (typically in April, see details below).
The following documents need to be handed in for the application:
- A higher education entrance qualification
- A letter of motivation (depending on the institution to which you apply)
- International applicants have to produce a language certificate such asDaF Stufe V or equivalent
- All students have to produce a certificate of English language proficiency (level C1 or equivalent) until the second semester. Information about which certificates satisfy this level are on the Web site of the Fremdsprachenzentrum.
At the University of the Arts Bremen it is additionally necessary to:
- Hand in a portfolio comprising works (see details below), and
- Pass the entrance examination and interview; this will be hold at two days in June (see details below)
There are restricted places for the study program at all universities. Among the applicants a ranking will be made the ones at the top of the lists will be accepted. In the previous years the ranking was according to criteria as average score of school leaving certificate, time of waiting for a university place and the rating of the portfolio (only University of the Arts). There is a special quota for foreign students.
University of the Arts Bremen: examination entrance qualification
If your going to apply for a place at the University of the Arts, you’ll have to submit a portfolio comprising approximately 20 works (for example: interface or screen design, Web design, CD-ROMs, videos, animations, storyboards, drawings, sketch an concept, typography of photography). You can append short explanations to the works. Digital works should be provided with hints about technical terms (operating system etc.), if not self-evident. A letter of motivation providing information why you’re interested in the bachelor study of digital media can be added as well.
Approximate schedule for the application at the University of the Arts
- End of April: hand over of the portfolio at the University of the Arts, Am Speicher XI Nr. 8, Bremen, together with the application for the admission to the entrance examination.
- May: notification about the ranking of your portfolio
- May – June: pick up the portfolio
- Beginning of June: entrance examination (2 days)
- Mid-July: application for a place at the University of the Arts
- End of July: applicants receive Letters of Admission/Rejection
- University of the Arts Bremen: Forms and additional information
- University of Bremen: Forms and additional information
For additional questions and detailed information about the application and enroling procedures the following persons are available:
University of the Arts Bremen
(Head of Program) or (Head of Program) and (matriculation office)
Tel. +49 (0)4 21 / 95 95 – 11 14
(study advisor) and the Tel. +49 (0)4 21 / 218 – 99 99